Monday, November 10, 2008

The original "Sarah" dies at age 82

It is with great regret I have to tell my readers that my cousin Friedl Haas Goldschmidt, in some ways the model for the character Sarah in my novel Adlerhof, has passed away of a stroke in Milwaukee at 82. She is survived by her husband of 60 years, Fillmore. Friedl was very supportive of my attempt to write a novel incorporating family history and Fillmore very kindly lent me his unpublished memoirs of his life as a soldier in the US Army from before Pearl Harbor until after the end of the war. He served in Normandy and was twice wounded. She is also survived by her son Dr. Robert Goldschmidt, MD of Richmond, VA.
In contrast to the character in the novel, she never lived in NC and she came to the US at age 14. The photo of "Sarah" in Adlerhof is actually of my cousin Friedl taken in her grandmother's (my great grandmother's ) garden in Rulzheim.

No comments: